Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Toasted Muffins with Blueberries & Bacon

The first recipe from my new book!
This was a very simple recipe that I chose because I had some blueberries in the fridge.
26 May ~ Page 152
The instructions are easy, as is making it. If I made it again I would probably just toast the English muffins in my toaster instead of in the pan, but that would only be to make room in the pan. Also the recipe says the maple syrup is optional, but I would highly recommend using it, because it's a bit bland otherwise.

The time frame it gives is pretty accurate. The only instruction that confused me was the browning of the bacon in step 3. Having just inverted it onto the blueberries the side that was against the pan to begin with is now facing up, so the bacon was already browning. I just ignored that and left it for another two minutes.
Finished product
The combination was nice, but could have done with more bacon. The only recommendation I would make is to not do what I did and try to pick it up to eat like a sandwich, because all the blueberries fell out! Oops!

3 stars.

~

26 May
Toasted Muffins with Blueberries & Bacon

Serves 2
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins

Ingredients:
2 muffins (in Australia we call them English muffins)
2 lean bacon rashers
100g/3.5oz fresh blueberries
2 tsp maple syrup

1. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Slice the muffins horizontally and place them, cut side down, on the rack in the grill pan.
2. Lay the bacon rashers on the rack and cook until the tops of the muffins are toasted and the bacon is lightly cooked on one side.
3. Turn the muffins and divide the blueberries between the bottom halves. Invert the bacon onto the blueberries, covering them completely. Cook for a further 2 minutes, removing the top halves as soon as they are toasted and the bottom when the bacon is browned and crisp.
4. Place the muffin bases on serving plates, drizzle with maple syrup, and add the muffin tops. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment